Gluten-free Crumb Chicken
(This recipe is dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, and gluten-free)
Almost exactly the same as the traditional Crumb Chicken recipe, the gluten-free version is just as simple to make. Sometimes, I actually prefer this version to the original, as the gluten-free crackers tend to hold a better crunch than saltine crackers. The original recipe came from one of the first cookbooks I ever received; a children’s cookbook that ranged from breakfast to dinner (the book is linked below as a source). It is a great main dish for dinner, which I usually pair with a vegetable side and either a salad or mashed potatoes.
None of the ingredients need to be exact, these are approximations.
- 1 cup of crunchy gluten-free crackers (I recommend Good Thins: the Corn one)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts (whole)
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Liberal sprinkle of salt
- Lighter sprinkle of pepper
- Liberal sprinkle of Italian seasoning
- Lighter sprinkle of garlic powder
- (Optional) Dash of dried green onions
How to Make:
1) Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking tray with foil and place metal cooling racks in the pan.
2) Put the crackers in a bowl, then carefully smash into coarse crumbs. (You can alternatively use a plastic bag and rolling pin to crush the crackers).
3) Add the various spices and salt to the bowl. Stir with a fork until well mixed. Then add the olive oil to the crumb mixture and toss with the fork until the crumbs are lightly moistened.
4) Slice the chicken breasts in half, then rinse the chicken breast with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
5) Place the chicken breasts on the work surface. Spread the mustard onto the chicken and massage the mustard onto all sides of the breasts with clean hands. Immediately dip the coasted breasts into the crumb mixture, coating both sides, and place on the racks in the pan. Sprinkle any left over crumb mixture over the top of the chicken.
6) Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle when cut into with a sharp knife, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Original Recipe from: https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Sonoma-Kids-Cookbook-great-Lifestyles/dp/0848726073